| 0 comments ]

Of course, as soon as I posted "Separate Is Not Equal" I came across this post on Pam's House Blend that shows it's not all doom and gloom on the race front:

I wore a t-shirt that read "I'm a Victim of H8" to the car wash. As I was waiting for my car, a young African American man walked up to me, motioned to my t-shirt, and said, "I didn't vote for that."

I was somewhat surprised that this guy felt the need to approach me and let me know that he didn't vote for Prop. 8. Was he concerned about reports in the media about tension between LGBT people and the African American community?

"Thanks," I replied.

"No one I know voted for it either?" he added.

Okay, now I was certain where he wanted to go with the conversation.

"That's great," I said. "You know the majority of voters in Monterey County voted against it. Young voters like you were really against it."

"I just want to say that no one in my family voted for it. Not even the older ones. None of my friends did either. It is just wrong."

"Well, there's going to be a peaceful rally at Colton Hall today at 10:30. You should come if you're not busy. Bring your friends."

"(Laughs) Maybe my friends will come if I can tell them there will be attractive ladies there. You know what I mean?"

"I can promise that there will be lots of young ladies there -- attractive, straight young ladies. Bring a sign that says 'straight but not narrow' and you'll be very popular."

Then, he introduced himself as Shawn. We shook hands and chatted about a few other things as we waited for our cars to get dried off and polished.

I didn't see Shawn at the event later that day. I'm not sure if he was able to make it or not. If he arrived after that crowd got big and we began to march, I would not have been able to spot him.

However, there were quite a few African American folks at the event. Keep in mind that Monterey is very very white. So, it always amazes me that these rallies have such a diverse turnout.
This is exactly opposite of my experience, and it's heartening to know that when we extend a hand, it will be grasped

0 comments

Post a Comment